Alannah has a serious case of itchy feet and incurable wanderlust! Originally from Canada, Alannah went on her first international trip at the age of fifteen to Paris France. Since then, her passion for travel and adventure has continued to grow. She has currently been to over 30 countries and lived in 3. She writes a travel blog where she shares her adventures and tips for travelling solo and travelling on a budget. www.itchyfeetravel.com
Many people overlook what’s right in their backyards and forget to check out all the great things their home town, and surrounding areas, have to offer.
Trying to save money? Want to avoid the stress of travelling? Unable to travel due to health concerns or work obligations? What you need is a staycation!
A staycation is a vacation spent close to home, instead of travelling to far away foreign places. When you live somewhere you tend to take it for granted, there are probably many attractions and events close to home that you’ve never experienced.
So get your camera out and get ready to be a tourist in your own city!
To have a staycation you first have to set a few ground rules, after all you want this to feel like a vacation and not just like any other week at home.
1. Set a start and end date.
2. Set a budget.
3. Create an itinerary of what you want to do and see.
4. Don’t do anything you wouldn’t do on vacation. No laundry,
cleaning, grocery shopping, or yard work.
5. Set phone straight to voicemail.
What To Do
1. Visit a nearby tourist shop or attraction that you’ve never been
2. Rent a bike and explore a scenic park or area.
3. Go kayaking or canoeing for the day and pack a picnic lunch.
4. Visit a local forest preserve or state park and go walking or
5. Camp at a nearby campsite.
6. Find a local event of festival.
7. Spend a day at the lake. Swim, rent a small boat, explore
trails, enjoy the scenery, and soak up the sun.
8. Take a ride on the city tour bus or go on a walking tour – you
might be surprised by what you learn about the history of your
9. Use apps like Yelp or Urban Spoon to find new places to eat.
You might discover your new favorite restaurant!
10. Join a group on Meetup. Sign up for an event and go. It’s a
great way to meet new people with similar interests.